Central Baptist Church, Oregon District Records
Scope and Content
Covering the years 1882 to 1964, the records of the Central Baptist Church provide information about the history of the Church, attendance, membership, and the church's finances.
Series I, Church Histories, contains Xerox copies of various articles that have been written on the history of the Central Baptist church.
Series II, Book, A Real Missionary, is a book describing the adventures of the missionary.
Series III, Constitution and By-Laws, contains two small booklets outlining the Central Baptist Church's Constitution and By-Laws.
Series IV, Quarterly Statements and Receipts, contains 12 pages of statements and receipts.
Series V, Pledge Ledger, contains a bound book in which pledges to the church were recorded.
Series VI, Financial Account Ledgers, contains 3 bound books in which the church's finances were recorded.
Series VII, Attendance Books, contains 1 book in which Sunday School attendance was recorded and 11 books in which the Church School Secretary recorded attendance and other church membership information.
- Creation: 1882-1964
- Central Baptist Church, Oregon District (Dayton, Ohio) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no restrictions on accessing materials in this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
History of Central Baptist Church, Oregon District
The Central Baptist Church, Oregon District was founded in the mid-1840s. Initially, the congregation met in the Old Dunkard Church, then moved temporarily to the upstairs of the rented engine house on the corner of Sixth and Tecumseh Streets. They worshiped here until the basement of a new church was completed. The first minister was Brother Gorman, a student in the Lane Seminary, Walnut Hills, Cincinnati. He preached his first sermon in the Old Dunkard Church and his pastorate lasted until 1852 when he resigned to go to New Mexico to work for the Home Mission Society.
In the spring of 1849, twenty-eight baptized members and twenty-five members of the First Church formed the Wayne Street Baptist Church and plans were immediately made for a new building. Land was given by E. Thresher on the northeast corner of Wayne Avenue and Fifth Street and construction began. During the first twenty-five years of this church, the members dealt with a great deal of turmoil which finally ended in disbandment. Not long after that the church was destroyed by fire.
On November 12, 1878, the Central Baptist Church at the corner of Clay and Van Buren Streets was organized as a mission. In 1879 the Baptist Union invited Reverend H.H. Bawden to be the minister of the Central Baptist Mission, a position he held for seven years. Under his pastorate, construction of the existing structure began in 1881 and was completed at a cost of $14,000. The building was dedicated on May 4, 1882.
Reverend Bawden was replaced by Reverend J.P. Ogenbroad, who was replaced on April 1, 1886 by Reverend J.W. Icenbarger. Under Rev. Icenbarger the Central Baptist Mission was formally recognized as the Central Baptist Church on August 28, 1889.
In 1979 a plan to convert the church into seven condominiums was proposed to Dayton's Historic Architecture Committee. In August of 1982, another proposal to turn the church into condos was made by the Endeco Corporation. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1 linear feet
Language of Materials
Records include a collection of church histories and clippings, constitution and by-laws, financial records, and ledgers containing a record of Sunday School attendance and other membership information.
Statement of Arrangement
The collection is arranged into seven series:
- Series I: Church Histories
- Series II: Book, A Real Missionary
- Series III: Constitution and By-Laws
- Series IV: Quarterly Statements and Receipts
- Series V: Pledge Ledger
- Series VI: Financial Account Ledgers
- Series VII: Attendance Books
Records of the Central Baptist Church, Oregon District, were accessioned into the Wright State University Department of Archives and Special Collections in May 1994. They were donated by the Central Baptist Church.
- Guide to the Central Baptist Church, Oregon District Records (MS-257)
- Finding aid prepared by Susan M. Blumensaadt, 1994
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Repository
Wright State University Libraries
Special Collections and Archives
3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy
Dayton OH 45435-0001 USA