Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church (Beavercreek, Ohio) Records
Scope and Content
The Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church Records document the inner workings of a church. Through these papers, researchers may gain insight into the activities of church members during the 1950s until 2011.
Series I, Administrative Records, is divided into four subseries. The subseries contain information pertaining to the general operation of the church, from the constitution, financial records, correspondence, and the many board and committee meeting minutes.
Subseries IA, General Information, contains correspondence that led to the formation of the church, the adopted constitution, bylaws, and resolutions. Also included are the church directories that contain the member's photograph, along with other correspondence sent and received. The church's financial information, such as balance sheets, financial summaries, and financial policy handbooks are also included in this series. From 1967, to the 1980s, the financial summaries were published each month. In the 1980s, the financial summaries were replaced by the financial secretary's report, which is located in subseries IB. The annual report details church finances, reports from the various boards and committees, and the goals for the upcoming year. Along with a guest book from 1957, there are assorted items relating to the church's anniversaries.
Subseries IB, Congregational and Annual Congregational Meeting Minutes, are arranged into two categories: Congregational Meeting Minutes and the Annual Congregational Meeting Minutes. The congregational meetings addressed subjects like, but not limited to, issues, goals, building expansions, and budget concerns. There were special meeting throughout the years, mostly concerned with building expansion and budget issues. The annual congregational meeting minutes detail upcoming activities for the year, long range goals, and finances.
Subseries IC, Church Council and Financial Secretary Meeting Minutes, are arranged into two categories: Church Council Meeting Minutes and the Financial Secretaries Meeting Minutes. The church council began meeting with the formation of the church and continued to 2011. The council had a few name changes with different administrations, but are all organized under the heading of church council. The church council oversaw the various boards and committees and reported back to the congregation. The financial secretary reported sporadically in the 1970s, but became regular in the 80s, and ended in 1993.
Subseries ID, Board and Committee Meeting Minutes, detail the many boards and committees. Initially when the church council met, board members attended and gave their report; therefore the council and board minutes were on the same sheets. In the 1980s, board minutes were separated from one report and created separately. The different boards are: Education, Evangelism, Deacon, Property, Community Service, Congregational Care, Fellowship, Lay Ministry, Worship, Stewardship, Youth, and Trustees. Committees were formed for different tasks, such as the call committee, or task forces were created for partnerships, like the Christ-Peace Partnership Task Force. Around 2005, more permanent committees were formed and meet regularly, like the personnel and executive committee.
Series II, Publications, contains church bulletins, newsletters, and church publications. The church printed bulletins alerting members to meeting times, activities, and retreats. There were weekly handouts given to members stating the schedule for the day. From 1960 to 1976 a monthly newsletter, "Tidings of Peace" was published. The church also published outreach material, welcome material, anniversary packets, and dedication flyers.
Series III, Photos and Scrapbook, contains photos from the 1950s to 2011. The photos range from church members, construction, activities, outreach, vacation bible school, camp, Sunday school, and missionary trips. The scrapbook is from 1987 to 1988 and contains pictures of the nursery, Sunday school class, confirmation class, and adult education class.
Restrictions on Access
There are no restrictions on accessing materials in this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
History of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church (Beavercreek, Ohio)
The Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed in 1956 after Pastor Eugene Bensch canvassed the Beavercreek area to see if there would be support to start the organization. Services were held at the Knollwood Civic Building until the church building was finished in 1957. By the end of that same year, Peace Lutheran had become a self-supporting congregation. The building expanded through the decades to accommodate more members and an educational unit. Members of the church participated in humanitarian causes and missionary trips. The church was still in operation in 2011.
8.5 linear feet
Language of Materials
The Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church is located in Beavercreek, Ohio. The collection includes church council minutes, board minutes, annual reports, church publications, constitution, resolutions, correspondence, newspaper clippings, photos, guest book, and a scrapbook. Most items in the Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church Records are church council and board minutes. The records document the creation of the church to present day.
Statement of Arrangement
The collection is arranged into three series and four subseries:
- Series I: Administrative Records
- Subseries IA: General Information
- Subseries IB: Congregational and Annual Congregational Meeting Minutes
- Subseries IC: Church Council and Financial Secretary Meeting Minutes
- Subseries ID: Board and Committee Meeting Minutes
- Series II: Publications
- Series III: Photos and Scrapbook
The collection contains CDs and DVDs, which will require the appropriate equipment to view.
The Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church Records were donated to Wright State University Special Collections and Archives by Joshua Hendrickson in July 2010.
Accessions are anticipated for this collection.
- Guide to the Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church (Beavercreek, Ohio) Records (MS-442)
- Finding aid prepared by Seanne Finley, March 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- October 3, 2012: An accrual was added to the records.