Greenview Garden Club History Records
The Greenview Garden Club History Records includes materials from 1957-2018 and includes photographs, newspaper articles, yearbooks, meeting minutes, and awards chronicling the history of the Greenview Garden Club.
Series I: General Information, includes papers from 1957-2016. These materials include yearbooks, meeting minutes, agendas, membership lists, and awards created and received by the Greenview Garden Club.
Series II: Photographs, contains images from 1965-2011 of Greenview Garden Club Members at the Aullwood Herb Garden, along with photographs of other special events.
Series III: Scrapbooks, contains materials from 1957-2018 and includes awards, newspaper clippings, yearbooks, photographs, and flyers from the history of the Greenview Garden Club. While most of the scrapbooks were created by the Greenview Garden Club while The Jo Parkey scrapbook was compiled by Greenview Garden Club Member Jo Parkey before her death.
- Creation: 1957 - 2018
- Greenview Garden Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Greenview Garden Club was formed on February 19, 1957 by a group of women living on or around Greenview Drive, which is off State Route 48 north of Dayton between Shiloh and Englewood, OH. Meetings were held monthly at members’ homes. In 1959 Greenview Garden Club became a member of the Dayton Council of Garden Clubs. In April 1957 the Greenview Garden Club engaged in their own civic project, “the Stillwater Sanatorium Project.” This project involved making floral arrangements from donated flowers, usually from funeral homes, that were then taken to the Stillwater Sanatorium. In 1965 club president, Lillian Shaffer, and club member, Mildred Gallaher, approached Marie Aull, the founder of Aullwood Children’s Farm and Center to start a new civic project. This was the beginning of teaching herb gardening that was created in 1966 and continues to be a popular site on the Aullwood Children’s Farm and Center.
5.25 linear feet
Language of Materials
The Greenview Garden Club, established 1957, is located in Englewood, Ohio. This collection is comprised of meeting minutes, agendas, letters, photographs, awards and scrapbooks created by the Greenview Garden Club. These materials date from 1957-2016. Also included in this collection are records of the work of Greenview Garden Club Members volunteering for the Stillwater Sanitarium and the creation and maintaining of the Herb Garden at Aullwood Farms.
This collection is arranged in three series:
- General Information 1957-2014
- Photographs 1965-2011
- Scrapbooks 1957-2018
Other Finding Aids
The finding aid is available on the Special Collections and Archives, Wright State University Libraries web site at https://wright.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/resources/892 .
It is also available in the OhioLINK Finding Aid Repository at http://ead.ohiolink.edu/xtf-ead/.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated to Special Collections and Archives from the Greenview Garden Club in September 2016 by Greenview Garden Club Archive Committee.
The loose contents from scrapbooks are contained in folders 11 and 12 in box 2.
- Guide to the Greenview Garden Club History Records (MS-535)
- Amanda Norris ; Lisa Rickey
- 2022 Aug 4
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2022 Aug 4: Additions processed by Lisa Rickey
Part of the Special Collections Repository
Special Collections and Archives
3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy
Dayton OH 45435-0001 USA